Saturday, September 20, 2014

Quest for Passion


     One of the first things Alexis tells you to do in I Am That Girl to begin discovering your passion is to think about what REALLY pisses you off. It didn't take much thought at the moment as my children are waiting to find out what school (if any) they will be attending this year or if they will be put on a waiting list. Education has been a thorn in my side as long as I can remember- I came from a small-town school with cow pastures on all four sides. When I was in junior high, the state reduced funding and our proposed budget failed. As a result, our Art, Music, and Sports programs were cut along with Health and Home Economics. I was an art-centered student. I was devastated. All my strengths were cut in one go and with them any chance I had of getting a scholarship. Now as an adult my extremely bright, eager to learn children are playing hopscotch of being placed in one of two schools. One is bilingual and is at best mediocre, the other is in the heart of the ghetto and has the test scores to prove it. I do not want to see my children's spark snuffed so early but I don't have the time (or energy/resources) to home school my children.

     My children and Education are two of my passions. Writing is a third. Obviously I have more searching to do- but considering I had to hop out of my wonderfully warm bathtub to my frigid living room to get this out of my head and documented, I'd say we're off to a pretty good start.

Start a riot of your own.
~Night Rose


No comments:

Post a Comment